Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Getting a Diagnosis: Part One

We met with Cooper's pediatrician today, who said he is presenting like a textbook case of ADHD. He said we have one of two options at this point, 1. Test him for any other conditions that mimic the symptoms of ADHD to rule out anything else, or any co-occurring disorders, or 2. Put him on meds and see what happens. I went for one. He'll refer us to a group that does diagnostic work with little kids and they will do a full screen of IQ, learning disorders, developmental or sensory disorders, and psychiatric conditions. We should be expecting a call from them this week. Can I say that I just love Cooper's pediatrician? I know so many people who have to fight to get their kids the treatment they need and proper assessments done, and we have a doctor that's completely on board with letting us determine what course to pursue.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay for doctors that actually listen to parents. I have been so lucky to have good doctors for almost all of our medical needs. The neuro that told me I'd had a stroke needed a bedpan upside the head for lack of bedside manner, but other than that one. I've been lucky.

Powered by Blogger.